View Single Post
Old 04.12.2007, 03:08 PM   #43
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Ok, I can't be arsed to find the relevent threads, so I'm dumping my rounds 6 & 7 reviews here. I don't have enough time to be thorough, so...

Bytor Peltor's 'zzajing the idiomatic axis' is pretty lovely. Lots of long and drifty songs which don't particularly intrude upon anything. Um... perhaps that sounds disparaging. It's not. The tapes pretty much a mood piece, so far as I can make out. I enjoyed it. Yes I did. And it went down well with my housemates at the weekend. Winner.

Echo Sketch's tape reminded me of the sort of tapes I got when I was a fanzine twat. Which is a good thing. The inclusion of Nouvelle Vague was good. They're pretty much an ideal mixtape band. Can't stand to listen to a whole album of theirs, but in the context of a mix they're alright. There seemed to be a fair bit of lo-fi indie things - not in the sense of 'we've listened to Pavement and we're a bit aloof', but in the sense of 'we like Felt and the Pastels and sighing and quiet drums'. Lots that reminded me of late-90s Scottish indie. Which was, surprisingly, actually quite welcome. I'm a bit too young for nostalgia, but if I weren't, I'd be nostalgic with this tape. Oh, and the tape ran out of songs, and a voice announced that Alison Krauss (sp?) was to follow, which I heartily approve of. It had 'you say it best' at the end, which is about 74 bizillion times better than the Ronan Keating version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|