View Single Post
Old 10.17.2015, 02:44 PM   #109
jframe
empty page

jframe kicks all y'all's assesjframe kicks all y'all's assesjframe kicks all y'all's assesjframe kicks all y'all's assesjframe kicks all y'all's assesjframe kicks all y'all's assesjframe kicks all y'all's assesjframe kicks all y'all's assesjframe kicks all y'all's assesjframe kicks all y'all's assesjframe kicks all y'all's asses
I've been listening to Dirty a bit more, trying to pull my mind open. For my ratings, I may have rounded down in a few places where I might round up now. I actually kind of like the chorus of On the Strip now.

As I listened more and more, I began to imagine what I could do if I had a magical pair of music scissors. I eventually decided to dabble around a bit, and after a while I created what you might call an awful, butchered version of Dirty--but what I call an improved album that I find much more enjoyable.

In summary, I threw out 3 songs, kept 5 songs completely intact, and mashed up the remaining 7 into 3 songs. Unfortunately, that only leaves me with 8 songs, but I quite like them:

1. 100% Drunken Butterfly
2. JC's Sound-World
3. Shoot
4. Wish Fulfillment
5. Youth Against Kane, Angel's Spit
6. On the Strip
7. Chapel Hill
8. Purr

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the mash-ups, but descriptions are below.

1. 100% Drunken Butterfly
This ended up being only about a minute. I tried to do more with it, but this was the best I could come up with. It's definitely not perfect, a little jarring at the change, but it almost works. For me, though, this is all I need, the initial punch of 100% followed by the amazing beginning of Drunken Butterfly. I'll call it an intro to the album.

2. JC's Sound-World
For this one, you might say... uh, all you really did here was put approximately the entire song JC followed by pretty much everything in the song Theresa's Sound-World--why not just keep them as two separate songs? Well, the key is that it amazingly morphs back into JC towards the end of Sound-World--and in my world, JC was never enough to stand on its own, and Sound-World needed a little something more. I would have been content to just start with Sound-World and morph it into JC at the end, but I decided that I love the guitar intro of JC and how it builds up to the vocals--I love it too much to just throw it away.

5. Youth Against Kane, Angel's Spit
This one starts with a couple instrumental pieces of Angel's Spit, which for me is the only magic of that track. The end of the guitar instrumental coincidentally is approximately the same as the beginning of Sugar Kane. I'm not a big fan of Sugar Kane, but I find one round of it to be a lot more enjoyable than repeated rounds. It morphs nicely into Youth Against Fascism, which on its own, in my view, is an incomplete piece of song that's rather cool but on the verge of being annoying--the secret is don't play it 10 times over and over again. Just once. I actually like a single round of Youth Against Fascism. Hook it to a single round of Sugar Kane, and you have a complete song, that starts off with a superb Angel's Spit instrumental intro.
jframe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|