View Single Post
Old 02.27.2012, 03:06 PM   #75
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
It simply wouldn't do to go on some tirade about the brilliance and influence of MBV here. My id wants to do it, but my rational brain says no.

To answer your question...

I don't know and neither does anybody else.

Only you can know if you've been missing out, and you can only find that out by giving the band's discog a good hearty listen. If you find something you like in there; something that, had you not heard it, you believe your life would have been somehow incomplete, then yes, you were missing out. If you don't dig it, fair enough, and then obviously the answer becomes no, you were not missing out, and you just wasted several hours listening to music you don't like.

In all honesty I don't really understand the question. It seems like you've heard them and not really gotten the bug, and you're wondering if that somehow isn't "right", but if you've heard them and don't like them, then honestly, what the fuck is there to gain in changing your opinion to conform to the status quo formed by aging ex-punks on an internet message board?

If the question was "I've never heard MBV... am I missing out?" then i would understand a bit better. But it sounds to me like you have heard people talking about their biblical awesomeness (something that's become a bit of a thoughtless habit among indie rock fans), and you're experiencing some in-group jealousy. Wishing you liked them so you could say things like that.

I do not believe in forcing yourself to like or hate music just so you can feel a sense of belonging to a particular social group.

Believe me, it's totally OK to not like My Bloody Valentine. I'm a fan- always have been- but I can admit that there was a bit of crap mixed in with the overall goodness of their output.

So, in short, you're only missing out on something if you like them and haven't heard enough of their music to realize that. If you don't like them, or remain ambivalent, you might be "missing out" on some conversations about My Bloody Valentine, and that's about it. So there's one answer to all of this: LISTEN TO THEM. It should be a pretty easy thing to figure out after that.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|