View Single Post
Old 09.27.2010, 02:36 AM   #10
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
.... add another guitar amp to accompany the Bassman. Play through an ABY switch "Y" so you can run 1 guitar signal to both amps. Also use an Electro Harmonix POG and apply subtle octave shifts or harmonics... either through the complete signal or on just one of the amps. Either one of these methods would improve or even better, both.

Stick with the Fender tone, but consider a Twin Reverb. Bassmans are only 50 watts and not near as loud as an 85-100 watt Twin. You can't get your amp louder than when it is loud, it will only break up more.... and in regards to a Bassman, this means more muddy.

The Twin Reverbs 2x12s will sound fucking great with the bassmans 4x10s.... I know this from experience and always play through paired combo's like that. You might like the Twin more in fact, but they aren't favored for breaking up like you're getting with the Bassman.... it will require pedals. With two amps, you can push / vary EQ's to accent each other (like the bassman bright w/ more drive and the twin thick and full - to thicken up your sound).

You can find used Twin Reverbs in the $700 range (give or take) all day, vintage or Reissues (craigslist).

The ultimate solution for the bass would be a Zvex Woolly Mammoth (fuzz), but not cheap. My favorite of all fuzz's (for guitar or bass). It's designed for bass and is acclaimed for not "thinning" out the sound.... in fact I think they thicken it up while adding fuzz. Sadly, I don't have one. I'm always looking for one used and cheap but it just doesn't happen.

Unfortunately I don't have many "cheap" solutions, but if you're willing to buy used...? The POG, especially the micro POG would be a cheap upgrade for starters.

... all said though, isn't the limits of your "loudness" live based on the venues PA?

FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|