View Single Post
Old 02.22.2015, 02:36 AM   #30
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Kim's take on feminism is a bit outmoded. Unless, of course, feminism is about one women telling other women how they should live their lives. Younger girls dating gross old men? Garbage. What about older women who brag about younger men displaying an interest in them (as we saw in the Jezebel article). No fucking difference.

And Courtney never claimed to be part of "Riot Grrrl". If anything, she was (and is) something bigger and better than that. She's always been fucked up, sure, but at least she's been consistent. I don't think the same thing can be said about Kathleen. She was mouthing off, that's why Courtney punched her. It happens sometimes when people fail to mind their own business. Which, of course, doesn't make it "OK", but what is normal isn't always widely regarded as "OK". People are violent.

And did the Pumpkins ever claim to be punk rock? Sure they suck, but did they ever claim to be punk rock? Are Sonic Youth, (let's be really technical about this...) punk rock? Why is Kim an authority? Did she start punk? Did she partake in jumpstarting what would become known as punk? Was she thrashing about some stage at the same time as Patti (infinitely cooler than any woman mentioned in this post)? No. I mean shit, Lydia was active before Kim and even Lydia never claimed to be punk rock. Sure Kim shaped things and means a lot of good things to a lot of boys and girls in this world. But I don't think, at the end of the day, things would be much different in the world of feminist rock had Kim never existed. There were plenty doing it before her...some of which who are still at it and who still kick ass.

And holy shit why do these people still use the term "punk" as if it has some value. Is punk rock Sex Pistols boxers being sold at Target? I mean, TECHNICALLY the Pistols were and are more punk rock than Sonic Youth...if only because they existed as a punk rock band some years before Sonic Youth was even an idea. Are Sonic Youth more punk rock than the Pistols because I can't buy their tees at Target? Stupid.

Niagara was doing the same exact thing Kim would go on to do years before Kim would do it. Check out the new Destroy All Monsters box set. It's amazing. in fact, my GF thought she was listening to some early SY stuff when I first put it on (she's not really into SY too much). Guess what...it happened way before Kim was doing anything music related.
This whole this is so stupid.