Thread: Swans
View Single Post
Old 06.14.2009, 08:28 PM   #59
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Really? You think a good band can ruin their own name? Smashing Pumpkins weren't ever all that great, originally.

How (i.e. by what method) does a good band ruin it's name? This sounds to me as though this has more to do with the hipness of the band's credibility rather than the music itself. Does the actions of a band generations after the fact really effect your opinion of the original material? The sounds more like your problem than the band's.

You tell me that Smashing Pumpkins weren't all that good to begin with (an opinion that many would share with you) and then go on about hipster credibility? If you knew me you wouldn't be making these accusations as I really could care less about popular opinion OR underground/hipster opinion... I like what sounds good to my ears.

Having said that, a band can ruin their good name for me and/or the public in general. Just check out all the articles and blogs about how Billy Corgan has done nothing but embarrass himself these last 10 years (especially with this recent Pumpkins fiasco). This doesn't destroy the band's early output, but it certainly can create a stigma around a band's name. I for one think Adore is an outright masterpiece and have continued to enjoy Corgan's stuff including his gorgeous solo record right thru to the Zwan album. This recent Pumpkins mess is too much, even for me, however. It will make it hard for me to take anything that he/the band puts out in the future seriously.
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|