View Single Post
Old 02.18.2010, 05:56 AM   #144
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
bitch was asking for "precise" (i presume he meant "logical" language)

chomski dealt with the computing (logical) aspect of it, yes?

now please bring up dave crystal in a non name-dropping way. come on. summarize his relevance to this point maybe? do it for some future beer i might buy you as long as it's not warm or anything called "brown ale".

Crystal's position isn't that of imputing an inherent political logic to language; he doesn't absolve it of a political position, and he doesn't himself exist in a political vacuum. He's closer to the (impossible) academic ideal of observing language from 'outside', if only because his position is less palpably charged with a political project.

In terms of his logic, he's been a critical contributor to the OED for decades; as such, he has an incredibly intimate, yet perspicuous, relationship, to the muddy world of 'how language works'. While he inevitably posits language as a social enterprise, this enterprise is organic, atomic and often fuzzily-bordered; if he is 'prescriptive', it's an open and porous prescritivism, something I just don't see in Chomsky. Over everything, he's almost exclusively an academic of linguism, whereas Chomsky, while a brilliant linguist, uses linguistics as collateral in his broader project(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|