View Single Post
Old 04.27.2006, 01:31 PM   #6
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Lee comes from a quite 'classic' songwriting background, as he is far the most studied out of all the Sonic Youth guitarists; he had pretty much mastered EADGBE by the time he began experimenting with other tunings. Lee was also very into classic song structures, growing up listening to the Beatles and the Beach Boys in his teen years, as well as soaking up the era's beat poetry, which gave him the right knowledge to construct great songs as well as write the lyrics.

Thurston comes from a more punk background, coming of age as he moved into NYC- just as NYC punk was in it's best form. The Ramones, Blondie, Richard Hell, fuck, Glenn Branca were all around for Thurston to dig. Thats why he's so badass. Thurston isn't as studied as Lee is in terms of music. He was just about competent in EADGBE to start with by the time he started using alternate tunings.

Kim... I don't know. She's always been a painter and a writer. I think she combines the two for amazingly creative lyrics. Imagery is mostly the key to her writing, but she also has some country-ish influences as well as no-wave chants. I think you need an imagination to become immersed in the visions she has (or wants you to have).

They're all very different people.

I love Lee though.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|