Thread: Facebook IPO
View Single Post
Old 05.23.2012, 12:05 PM   #27
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
It's not wrong, there are multiple online revenue streams. PPC is one of them, but not the only one that makes FB profitable. Don't be such a patronising cunt.

I mention London Tube ads because FB facilitates exacting demographic research. If the data for people whose location (which thanks to various FB/ GPS/ mobile things, is far more accurate) is Harrow, and 30% of them are posting about how much they love top gear (shit TV programme), it makes sense to put a billboard up advertising the Clarkson (presenter) biog in that area because you already know that people are interested in that; if 0.01% are posting about Top Gear in Pinner, there's no point putting the same billboard up there.

At a lower level, PPC is god, of course, but one of facebook's strengths is in unfiltered market research. Provided the data isn't attributed directly to a single human - it remains in abstract terms - that's not in contravention of many laws (well, it is, but big businesses' legal circumvention is also a massive and smart/ evil enterprise).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|