View Single Post
Old 07.25.2010, 06:11 AM   #4
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
ASP's list covers lots of classics but isn't far short of including every dnb album ever released. Narrowing it down, I'd say the following are all great:

Compilations:

Metalheadz - Platinum Breakz vol 1
Grooverider Presents the Prototype Years
Ministry of Sound Presents AWOL - Live (mixed and more Jungle than DnB but still essential)
LTJ Bukem Presents Logical Progressions Vol 1

Aside from those, any single label compilations from the likes of V Recordings, Moving Shadow, Ganja Records or RAM, that have stuff from between about 1993-96, will be good. Things started going down hill a bit after that, IMO.

Single Artist albums:

I don't thing any DnB artist ever produced a really 'great' album but, of the good ones, I'd say these are worth checking:

4 Hero - Parallel Universe
Photek - Modus Operandi
A Guy Called Gerald - Black Secret Technology
Ed Rush - Torque
Goldie - Timeless (Massively overrated but still a 'classic' of sorts)
Roni Size - New Forms (ditto)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedcola
I remember hearing that kevin shields was really into drum and bass offshoot called jungle when he was trying to write a follow up to loveless, anyone know what records they might be? the music would be from england 92-94.

Drum n Bass was more an offshoot of Jungle than the other way around. The differences aren't that great except that Jungle tended to have more of a ragga/hip hop influence and was more dance-oriented, while DnB had closer links with stuff like Detroit Techno. Generally speaking, artists like Goldie, LTJ Bukem, Doc Scott and Photek were more closely linked with DnB while the likes of DJ Hype, Randall and Mickey Finn were more associated with Jungle. It's not a very rigid distinction, though.

Typical Jungle tracks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx-LoyNO9FI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgO75HTs4iY
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|