View Single Post
Old 05.31.2017, 04:10 PM   #21110
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
The orig. comic was groundbreaking when it came out but aspects of it have dated in a way that the film could've easily addressed while still remaining true to its message, but the director seemed almost intimidated by the original. That would still make it as good as the comics except that I think the film tries to squeeze too much into its running time (I agree with Terry Gilliam that it could've only really worked as a mini-series) and, for all its spectacular moments, Snyder's direction just seems really flat. Lots of stuff happening but little real excitement, or drama, or tension.

Saying all that, I don't think the film's quite the disaster some claim. It has some excellent moments. It just doesn't quite hold together for me. I do much prefer the original but I fall short of considering even that the greatest thing to ever happen to comics (which some, often those who hate the film the most, seem to). I wouldn't even say it's the best thing Alan Moore's ever done. For a lot of people (and I'm definitely not putting you in this category) it was probably the 1st 'serious' superhero comic they'd read, and I dare say for many of them it was the only one. Watchmen got a wider audience because of its association with DC, but for me Moore's Halo Jones stories for 2000AD are his best. They've been anthologised and if you ever see them, get them; if anything, unlike Watchmen, they're even more relevant now than they were when they first came out.

It would have been awesome as an HBO miniseries. For sure. Also, would have been better directed by TERRY GILLIAM!!

Zack Snyder has some chops as a cinematographer and an editor, but it's like he chooses to take the low road.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|