View Single Post
Old 06.17.2011, 02:36 PM   #38
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
truncated, I wouldn't worry about the tattoos and feel it's likely that you should wear the glasses. Do touch-up your roots and of course don't chew gum. The toe/fingernails thing seems completely indicative of a lot of unneccesary worry. Coffee seems to me to be up to you. Unfortunately, many of these interview processes, like much in our culture where undue scrutiny takes place, are strictly pageantry and the recruiters already have a fair idea of a type that they want beforehand, or, at worst, it's a side-door-gets-you-in deal instead of the front door and much depends on who you know. So try to take that in the positive aspect and realize that it's not at all worth working yourself up over.

On the whole, I can only relate my somewhat recent experience and perhaps some of what follows may prove helpful to you.

I was one of some sixty applicants for my current job that I've held for the past three years.

Two interviews were required, and in retrospect, neither were particularly grueling, although I was so nervous during the first one that as soon as I was told there would be a second with a narrowed field of candidates, I went to a psychologist twice to help stave off what I felt would be my inevitable anxiety. I guess the main point here is to not let yourself become your own worst enemy.

The therapist employed a deep relaxation technique, starting with visualization of complete calm at the top of my head and continuing downward systematically to the tips of my toes as he intoned a hypnotizing voice. With my eyes closed at one point during the second session, I felt for several minutes as if I was lifted out of my body and rising to the ceiling of his office. We worked at coming up with a way other than deep breathing and counting to kickstart a calming effect directly preceding the interview and encourage the relaxation I had hopefully accumulated in sense memory during the appointments. I hit upon the idea during the second session to do some repetitive exercises to condition myself as to when the calm would take effect at precisely the moment that I sat down in the interviewee's chair.

I believe this helped more than anything and allowed me to project my positive attributes and present myself in the best light. At one point several months after being on the job, I was searching my e-mail program for something or another and stumbled across a message from my immediate boss to the owner boss in which the person being promoted whose job I was taking and my direct manager expressed that they liked a particular candidate best, but, fortunately for me, the owner expressed that he preferred to hire me.

I imagined beforehand, with some help researching on the net, what types of questions would be asked. I wrote out responses and also questions of my own in a notebook. I didn't utilize much of this rehearsal, but there were bits of phrases here and there that manifested, and all in all, it assisted in serving as a provision for certain guidepost touchstones along the way in the jumble of the event.

Good luck!
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|