Thread: 1967
View Single Post
Old 10.12.2014, 04:15 AM   #19
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
if you want to listen to Brel, I recommend the live shows over his albums, at least that's what I listen to most. Some links:
A BBC documentary: Jacques Brel - Legends (Documentaire BBC - 2007)
it's quite well explained in the documentary why his live shows were so impressive, so I won't be doing it.
My favourites are his (two?) live albums at the Olympia in Paris. One is on youtube (as actual movie): Jacques Brel - Les adieux ā l'Olympia ( 1966 )
but my all time favourite is the one from 1964, it should be possible to find that as single tracks on youtube. It was in high rotation in my car for a very long time (that's about five years ago).

this is also a very good quality vid:
Jacques Brel in concert (1964)(in Netherlands)
1967 is not his best year probably either, he was burnt out already. He was doing farewell tours in 1966 and 1967.

Damn, and now that we're talking about the French music. Here's another legend. This was also 1967:

Brigitte Bardot & Serge Gainsbourg - Je t'aime ,moi non plus
That song is very cheesy and therefor totally underrated, but check out some of his other work, he's so good. This one for instance from 1971:

Histoire De Melody Nelson
you can probably look up the English translation somewhere
One of my all time favourite classic albums, together with Crosby Stills Nash & Young, and all their solo efforts from around that time
Finally I have had time to watch your recommendations. I have become huge Brel-fan in a short time! Also listened that 1967-album, its also amazing, not a sign of burnout in it! I think itīs really unbelievable how he made it in his time, because he was quite ahead of his time! But he just seemed to be in a right Place in right time. Of course heīs not still as known in the whole world as he deserved. Naturally I didnīt understand any of his words, but that doesnīt bother me at all.

Gainsbourgīs Jītaime is really too cheesy to me. I have heard quite young that awful Donna Summer 15-minutes version, so I just canīt take serious it. Also there is awful Finnish joke version from that. BUT that Histoire De Melody Nelson is just great!!! I really loved the music and also that 70ties naive short movie! Going to watch & listen it again!
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|