View Single Post
Old 03.01.2018, 12:43 PM   #22178
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
ha ha ha ha

i didn’t mean nuts and bolts in the literal sense— i meant in the sense of implementation. the mention of my bike repair was just a free-association.

for example i have gone from 4 bank accounts to one— and the savings are contained within the checking. that’s minimalist in my view. less tracking and complexity and time wasters.

i’ve moved to a walkable small town that allows for foot and bike traffic instead of trucking through mud roads on a v8 truck. lower transportation cost + better fitness. that’s minimalist. moving close to work was an important factor in this decision.

trying to go to a paperless workflow. it’s easier said than done. not quite there yet.

for food im maximizing nutrition and health while removing elaborate preparations with complex tool requirements. it’s taken me years to develop such systems. it’s still a process. my fridge is clear and clean and streamlined. most people have theirs clogged with useless rotting shit growing mold all over. i used to do that myself. not anymore.

went from a 3 bedroom house to a 1-room loft type place over the past decade. now that im in a town it’s hard to find a similar space, so for now we’re in a 2br house which is too much space actually— a room is empty and we don’t wanna fill it up with shit. will look for smaller later.

over the years donated a lot of big and bulky furniture, from king size beds to leather couches, to people who had a use for it. i still have an nice 60’s engineer steel desk that needs an owner, but that might end up recycled at the metalman. so impossibly heavy!

even “how to shop” is done with simplification in mind, to save time and mileage and yes money too. currently testing amazon pantry with good results. costco also available w/ higher amounts required.

by nuts-and-bolts i mean: how do you get rid of your massive bed and what do you use instead? how do you maximize use of space so you don’t spread out and add further? how do you transition from fossil fuel to muscle-powered transportation in a way that’s safe and practical and reliable? what clothes do you buy to get the most utility and less clutter? how do you heat people, not buildings? how do you reduce or even eliminate the trash you produce? that sort of thing.

how to execute on “big ideas” on an everyday basis. tactics to actually achieve the grand strategic goals. setting up and doing the practical shit.

ps- as for the “extra time” you mention, minimalism is very much about maximizing free time, yes.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|