View Single Post
Old 04.30.2017, 03:06 PM   #21001
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
well what i was trying to imply is that maybe the american oldboy is creepier due to the american penchant for confirming andrea dworkin's statement that all sex is rape

park DOES have a tendency towards gory & disturbing shit though, so YMMV, but i don't recall oldboy being particularly rapey. i'd have to rewatch & see. also, sympathy for mr. vengeance was more coen brothers than anything else--but with a twist. or twists. sad. but so great.

the thing about it though, this prejudice of a sad premise of "rape and revenge" is very hollywood, and park is not that sort of simpleton. he finds ways to make the disturbing interesting past the graphic shit. he gives it a reason. i like him for that. his violence is not gratuitous and tends to serve a larger purpose, which is usually some sort of "big question" about human nature.

speaking of which, i believe ilducio hates gratuitous violence and yet he recommended you it.

wait. the american oldboy was a spike lee joint. i couldnt say if it was good or not. but the original, which was based on a manga, was just so fucking great. hardcore and disturbing sure, but not without a purpose.

IN ANY CASE

it's just movies, not death or taxes. you can avoid if you wanna.

Spike Lee? Really? Whaaat?

Ok, well, you compared to the Coen Bros. (who almost always have some sort of twist themselves, just satin'), so now I need to see this shit for sure. I'll let y'all know why I think.

I'll probably watch another day though, because American Gods is premiering tonight and I have an I watched Doctor Who to get to.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|