View Single Post
Old 10.08.2009, 04:12 PM   #92
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I think he's a gorgeous writer. By which I mean his style is lovely to read. I've spent the whole with very dry semiotics and Barthes seems like a reading blowjob right now.

I'm never to sure where I stand on his ideas though. I think part of the problem with approaching this sort of thing is that you have to disconnect yourself from the notion of canonical interpretations; intertexuality is irrefutable if Saussure is irrefutable, and you're an idiot if you're refuting Saussure.

If you seriously don't agree with post-Saussurian linguistics (and I'd by no means suggest you should agree) then it's important to look upon it as the dominant paradigm of crit theory. I personally would happily see a cap on the proliferation of polysemic [sic] readings, but this is more to do with the failings of the academic community at large than it is specific theorists.

Sorry, I've dribbled a bit there - in essence, my feeling is that Barthes is necessary not just because the art becomes autonomous but because the author becomes a more passive part of the artform; you don't really get an expansion of an artform without ideas the destabalise the norms.

Have you read Barthes' mythologies? I read the one about wine earlier. Amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|