View Single Post
Old 05.01.2010, 03:13 PM   #20
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
The first thing for me would be to return former polytechnics to their previous status. It's ridiculous that 'officially', a degree gained at Thames Valley or its equivalent is considered equal to one gained at somewhere like Cambridge.

Not sure if I agree with that...sounds reasonable though. Would help protect the prestige of the good unis, and prevent homogenisation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
They should abolish tuition fees and return to the old grant system, which would lower the amount of students doing degrees to a more manageable level. The whole drive to get 50% of the population into higher education has been a disaster, with far too many school-leavers being pushed into universities regardless of how useful a degree would be to them, or how suited they are to actually doing a degree in the first place. There's something deeply immoral about universities happily taking tuition fees off of students it's clear aren't able to cope with the subject they're meant to be studying.
I agree with this. It's good to educate and create a more sophisticated population thus improving democracy but it's gone too far. I can't believe how many complete morons are at my uni, and the department I'm studying in (despite it being fairly well rated in the rankings). In the Netherlands they have a system (or they did) in which it's free to go to uni but if you take longer to complete your degree because you failed modules, then you have to pay the fees. This would put off some of the dossers.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|