View Single Post
Old 03.16.2011, 12:24 PM   #14318
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
just watched the new lynch short LADY BLUE SHANGHAI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gmisZlnyRM

okay, it's not new, as he did it last may (!). Seriously, I am not the hippest person ever, but I do keep up with directors and films and shit, I mean Ki-Duk Kim could release a short of him farting and I'd have it on DVD by this time next week. You know. Packard, Jost, Giuseppe, Trecartin, Kitano, Fournier, Godard, Tsukamoto, these are dudes who have like 10 fans a piece nowadays and yet the minute any of these dudes even JOKE about a new film, the msg boards are lit up, as is FB and shit. Even KORINE and Trash Humpers (one of the worst films ever made) -- while most people agreeing he sucks and hasn't done anything good in well over a decade -- still gets plenty of hype. But 10 months went by since this film and I've never heard one person ever, EVER talk about it, in any way, shape, or form. I've never seen a msg board post about it -- not even on imdb -- never even seen a twitchfilms post, NOTHING. No website/board/blog/PERSON I've ever seen, in any way shape or form has posted that Lynch released a new short film 10 months ago. The only thing I can think of is that people were really really disappointed with Inland. Which is understandable. And all those shorts he's made since then, like Darked Room, Boat, and stuff? I mean, those are all horrible, all pretty easily 0/10's, probably. Just boring bland DV experiments that border on self-parody.

So, yeah, I know Lynch isn't very popular nowadays, but... still, it took 10 months for me to see this film -- or to hear about it at all? I mean... is this a fluke.. did everyone here already know about it and just didn't feel the need to talk bout it? Has everyone on the net seen it secretly? Seriously. I am really curious now. I guess what I'm asking is.. how the hell did Lynch put out a 20 minute new film without anyone in the world noticing or caring? I thought this guy was some big-time cult hero or something. I mean, when Tsukamoto put out Tetsuo 3, same deal. This guy was, at one point, huge. It may not seem like it nowadays, but films like Tetsuo and Tokyo Fist and Snake of June were HUGE cult films at one point. I guess the same goes for Miike.. used to, whenever a Miike film came out, there'd be a huge celebration (online, at least). Are cult films dead? It seems like it. It seems like no one really cares about underground directors... it seems like there's this huge void. I know DVD sales are nonexistant. I know netflix does not carry independant DVD's anymore (they're not even renting out new Criterion films anymore -- you know Criterion, right? Home of the best films ever made and stuff). This just blows me away, sorta. No one gives a fuck about movies anymore. Well ,anyway, click the link above and you, too, can see the new Lynch short, which was his first since 2007's awful short "Boat". It feels along the same lines as Inland/Mulholland and everything else he's been doing for the past 15 years or so. And yeah, it's supposed to be a long form ad for a purse or some garbage, but really, it is an honest-to-god Lynch film in the end. I dunno what rating I'd give it, I liked it better than Inland Empire at least.

very cool thanx for sharing

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|