Thread: Blooze Blurrr
View Single Post
Old 06.27.2009, 04:03 AM   #1
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Howdy y'all--another random observation/question/theory to kick around before it sinks like all the rest... re: "BLOOZE BLURRR", an unreleased song from possibly the 'Kill Yr Idols' era (whether this means it was in that tuning, I'm not sure). Originally this name was given to the mystery GDD# song that appears on many August '85 shows (including the popular 'Anarchy at St Mary's Place' bootleg), which we now know to be 'Kat N Hat'.

The only time I'd even heard of 'Blooze Blurrr' was when I asked the band a long time ago re: the song that turned out to be 'Kat N Hat', and one of them thought it could be 'Blooze Blurrr'. Later I've confirmed, if I recall, that they do have a recording of the song as well.

Then I read the Forced Exposure '85 interview that the awesome blunderbuss posted here: http://216.70.73.169/gossip/showthread.php?p=798968 where Thurston actually says:

"There's a song we do called 'Blooze Blurrr' that's nine minutes long. We recorded that on a binaural head and submitted it to a NY thing called THE SIN CLUB COMPILATION, which has the False Prophets, Live Skull, and a buncha bands that played the Sin Club. We said 'Here. You can have this.' They listened to it and said, 'What the fuck is this? This isn't Sonic Youth.' We said 'Yeah, it is.' And they wouldn't release it, but the guy who was gonna put out the album died a few weeks ago anyway, so..."

Now, I just downloaded the 12/11/82 show (in mp3) here: http://sonicyouth.utkonos.org/lossy/...82-12-11.mp3f/

The first track was 'Instrumental', which I don't have included in the Concert Chronology set list. I thought it may be a different band, but it's definitely SY, and it's a long instrumental that sounds quite structured to these ears... the unfortunate part is that the end cuts and there's a noticeable gap between that song and 'Inhuman', which my site says is the first song of the show. And you can hear the band tuning and making excuses before they start 'Inhuman', and the audience actually gives them a pretty hard time! But they could've done the instrumental first to warm up, I'd be interested to hear other's opinions if you download the show.

So, my theory... could this instrumental actually be 'Blooze Blurrr'? It certainly fits the timeframe, and from Thurston's description it sounds like it could apply... The only thing I wonder about is the question Thurston is replying to in that article: "Are you doing anymore unoriginals right now?" and Thurston says "...the idea of recording covers's kind of used up. There's a song we do called 'Blooze Blurrr'..." ...so, I can't tell whether he's suggesting 'Blooze Blurrr' is a cover or maybe it's deliberately written as a slow obvious blues dirge or something (hence the label saying it didn't sound like Sonic Youth?).

I don't know, just throwing ideas out there. Mostly I was shocked that this show I'd never heard had a fully formed instrumental song I'd never heard too! So check it out, it's even in mp3 for the non-flac folk...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|