View Single Post
Old 11.04.2012, 12:28 PM   #7
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Hah. I used to feel that way too. Until around 03 I was completely unimpressed by anything after Hit To Death... (except for Zaireeka) and thought the hype surrounding Soft Bulletin was complete bullshit. I loved their first RP, Hear it Is, Telepathic Sugery, In a Priest Driven Ambulance, and Hit to Death was about as poppy as I ever wanted them to sound.

My first reaction to Race for the Prize: "are you fucking kidding me with this shit?"

It wasn't until I heard "Yoshimi... Pt. 2" that the "new" Lips started appealing to me at all. But that song's absurd heaviness and weirdness made me a believer again. They are weirder and heavier than ever. They just allowed their sound to adapt to the times. They couldn't keep playing what was weird in 1987 forever, because it would sound normal or even boring if they did that. Anyway, now I rank them pretty high ... Not Spiritualized or Sonic Youth high, mind you, but still high, in "ratio of awesome albums to length of career."

Still, Oh My Gawd is my least favorite of their albums.

Why you gotta break balls, Severian?

Sometimes I want to talk to you like Jack does to Dot Com on 30 Rock...

"Honestly Dot Com, this need you have to be the smartest guy in the room is... Off-putting"

E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|