View Single Post
Old 08.14.2012, 02:57 AM   #14
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
The list becomes drivel towards the end.

But I often wonder this about music, and collecting records I get this impression:

music was just as shit during the 50s & 60s. There was tons of corporate bullshit music that people hated. Yeah there were some good bands that made it to the top & some good one hit wonders, definitely more so then than now. . . but if you look at record bins full of 50s and 60s records, it's mostly shit. My Mom told me that when she was a teen before Dark Side came out, her cousin introduced her to Pink Floyd & nobody knew who they were at the time. A record store owner told me in the 60s the only good brit rock you could get was the Stones & the Beatles, you had to mail order the Kinks.

I feel like with music we have a huge case of hindsight is 20/20. I almost never discover a new favorite album when it comes out. It's usually a few years afterwards at least.

Am I going to be able to look back in 20 years and recognize all the great music I overlooked today? All the hidden gems of albums that I just refused to listen to because they were too pimped by pitchfork & hipsters for me to give a shake or ones that I just never heard of?

Or is rock and roll the new blues? Something that's only really cared about my nerdy white dudes who wish to relive their glory days & where no new innovation exists?
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|