View Single Post
Old 11.27.2009, 08:39 AM   #2179
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Yeah, saw Glenn Beck fear monger over The Coming Insurrection. I would hate that to be the extent of its impact in America but I figure it will be. Should pick up a copy, anyway.

As for Zizek, he's the most love/hate contemporary philosopher that I know of. Some guy on another message board I frequent said literally the exact opposite, that nothing he says is meaningful. Really, I know Zizek mostly from his Marxism 2009 debate and that's about it.

yeah i can see were this guy is coming from, the real substance is in his books - not always his talks which are often just very entertaining and inspiring.
the problem people have with zizek is that listening to him will make you feel riled up, like your part of something, like your ready for action - but while it seems like he is telling us exactly what it is we, the left, should do right now, he never does. that's not really the point. his worth lies in struggling to open up new theoretical spaces that are impossible to see clearly in our current situation, blinded as we are by the unconcioussly realized ideological presuppositions of reality.

i can understand someone saying that there is no substance to zizek, i just think the real substance lies in the work you have to do yourself while your contemplating him.

i'm going to make a zizek thread
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|