Thread: the gossip
View Single Post
Old 10.08.2009, 08:16 AM   #36
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
You put emphasis on the fact that she is a girl before anyone else, not the fact that you started a thread about The Gossip.

eh, i mean beth ditto is the leader singer AND she's female, but no, there isn't too much emphasis on them as being a girl. that being said, i do tend to like female lead singers better than male leader singers in most cases. and i think the fact that beth ditto's weight is talked about or that the assumption that she is doing it to herself just really illustrates how fucked up things are. yes, she is proud her of weight and does not deny the fact that she's fat. but she doesn't do shit that skinny artists don't do. so many female musicians wear just bras on stage, knowing that they are acting as sex objects. but the blues are sexy! beth ditto has a voice and is a fucking hot bitch (seeing her live confirms this, i'm certainly not the only person who thinks this either) and has the right to show it off. and i dont think that she markets herself as being the 'token fat chick' - once again, she doesn't deny that she's overweight, but she's just all about being herself and being fat is something that the media has a hayday with. she's constantly getting shit because of it because she supposedly is out there 'normalizing obesity' and other crap liek that. from what i've told she's even been made fun of for her weight in the national enquirer when she's just an indie rock musician.

also yes, i admitted outright that part of the reason i wrote this thread was because i was curious how many people would talk about them as a band rather than beth ditto as a fat person. i did so because i've been having conversations with multiple other members of this board who also feel that female artists are discussed on this board is fucked up. if i'm at fault for perpetuating that dialogue, then i'm sorry i guess?

that being said, i dont' really like their new album. i'm pissed that they had to introduce synth.

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|