View Single Post
Old 06.15.2007, 10:43 AM   #14
gleeman
empty page

gleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirsute_biped

i've seen 'em six or seven, maybe eight times since '96 or so... and though the music is DIFFERENT now, i wouldn't really say it has less ENERGY. also, i can't really find it in me to criticise a band with such longevity for slowing down a bit. it's called the aging process. you can't expect them to write and play like they did in their twenties (or thirties) forever. also, i would hazzard to guess that the gordon-moore clan's move to a relatively rural zone some years back has influenced the music; the relatively mellow and/or jam oriented stuff. they can still thrash when they want to though.

well said! Of course I don't expect them to play like they did twenty years ago. But hearing those live tracks on the new DDN reissue reminded me what a tight humming machine they were back in the day! I mean, the tempos just surge and burn---everything seems faster than the record. Going back into the intro after the noise break in Silver Rocket, you can feel Steve giving the tempo a big burst---and it was plenty roarin' already! It's really a bold move putting out twenty year old live material, then playing that same material on a new tour. Imagine having to compete with your younger self!

For me, the dividing line between "old" and "new" (or should I say, "late") SY is EJSTANS. To me that record is the sound of SY letting the air out of the tires. I saw them like 5 times in '95 and remember being consistently shocked at how draggy the old tunes sounded. And it's felt the same to me ever since. I'm sure like any band they have their good and bad nights. But I'm just curious how the DDN material will sound now that the raucous energy of yore has mellowed out into sage elder-statesmanship.
gleeman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|