View Single Post
Old 04.04.2009, 07:02 AM   #6036
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I have only been watching xavier renegade angel as of late. Since I wrote so much about it on the noise board I'll repost here

I talked about this on another thread I think. But yeah this is the best show in the history of television. Not even kidding. I can't wait for a DVD so I just downloaded all of season 1 off of torrents and burned it. I've NEVER done that. (of course I'll buy the dvd when it comes out too)

I typically hate Adult Swim (besides some of the shows they've picked up.. and of course 12 OZ MOUSE!) but this show is completely unlike anything I've ever seen. A lot of the dialogue reminds me of Giuseppe Andrews's stuff... a lot of the episodes remind me of Jodorowsky.. and the actual style of the episodes remind me of some of the Residents CD-Rom video work meets a Nintendo 64 game. So all that combined makes it a perfect show for me!

But it's so unbelievably deep. A neo-mystical exploration of existentialism. You know how you watch a show and you can usually "get" it within a few minutes? Nearly every episode of this show actually CHALLENGES me, not because it's hard to watch, but because there are some episodes I just don't "get". It makes me THINK. Can't say that about any animated show since Evangelion. That's high praise. But... There is indeed a LOT to take in each episode, I mean you really have to watch the episodes a few times because of all the layers. I was telling my girlfriend this, but it seems like every episode is devoid of filler.. like, if you notice, Xavier usually doesn't have typical spaces between his words/sentences, almost like the creators intentionally removed the silences. There are no dead spots. It's a constant stream of information. I think to anyone just watching the show for a few minutes, they'll dismiss it as random nonsense, but a lot of the stuff is actually REALLY mindblowing. It's clever but also strangely philisophical. It's certainly not for the average Adult Swim viewer, let alone the average TV audience.. hell, I don't see how the show could really appeal to more than a few weirdos, but hey here we are.

Consistently brilliant and mindboggling. That's all I have to say. It's currently the only show I actually watch on television, actually stopping whatever I'm doing to make sure I catch it on Thursdays. I hope they're allowed to do a season 3,

I gotta say, the best episodes are season 1, episode 9... the one where they worship the guerilla. Anyone notice how the opening scene mirrors EXACTLY the opening scene of El Topo? The music's even the same. Also, season 2, episode... 6 I believe? "Damnesia Vu" or something, where Xavier keeps opening up random doors and he goes back in time to stop a shooting. OH, I think episode 3 of the first season, the one where he convinces the gang to paint walls white and tells them to flush their drugs so that the cops won't get them. Oh, episode 7 of that season! Where god is a woman and he stops the blood rain with a tampon! Or how about the latest episode if this season?! Where everyone is gold and the episode just ENDS, never reaches any conclusion, Xavier just rides some kind of weird motorboat and it just.. ends.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|