Thread: SY = VU
View Single Post
Old 06.29.2010, 01:37 PM   #50
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucklechimp
I'm not really talking about longevity, I'm just talking about the music. Both bands took rock music and did completely radical things with it. I don't think SY would have existed if there wasn't a VU to lead the way, I don't think punk rock as we know it would exist either.

You can say the same thing about VU. You mention it to people and they have heard the name of the band, but most can't reference any albums or songs. Exactly the same with SY.

SY has definitely given off a jam band vibe since the Murray Street era, but I attribute that more to Jim's influence than their desire to be considered the next Grateful Dead. Also, style wise, Grateful Dead have almost nothing in common with SY. I've yet to hear a folky SY song, or banjos.

first. SY have had NOTHING near the impact and wave making in music that VU has had, so how could you possibly compare them sonically? Its apples and oranges?

in regards to GD sound, I see you have a copy of American Beauty, but clearly you have nothing else, cuz the dead are far more then simply folky, in fact they are sonic bliss. The comparison between dead music and sonic youth is so obvious.. pattern recognition/Diamond Sea/Death Valley 69/PCH/Sonic Nurse Tour = Dark Star ->Eyes the World ->playing in the band -> the wheel -> playing in the band (sandwhich) jamming, innovative, spontanious, creative, edgy... its a perfect fit.

What the dead did with combining traditional and classic tunes into psychedelic, jazz fusion jams is exactly what Sonic Youth did with simple 3chord punk and turned into jamming, explosive improv.

look at what Sonic Youth was doing on that Pattern Recognition video and tell me it isn't like the Dead space?

I never said SY desires to be the next dead, shit the dead didn't even desire to be the next dead, however the VU comparison doesn't hold water, because Sonic Youth have not been as wide-reaching or influential across music as the Velvet Underground, plain and simple.

Where as, for their fans, for their music, for their culture, for their name recognition sans music recognition, they are the dead all the way. but I already been saying that shit here on SYG for years and years now..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|