View Single Post
Old 06.18.2007, 06:12 PM   #3
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Time out of Mind is way too overproduced. The "solo" in Dirt Road Blues is particularly funny--at least three guitars trying to get our attention. But the lesser songs would be highpoints on nearly any 80s release. Standing in the Doorway and Not Dark Yet are instant classics, and Highlands shows that he still has a sense of humor.

Love and Theft was produced by the man himself, which is cool--can't blame anyone else if it sucks. The old timey songs are convincing (Bye and Bye, for example, sounds exactly like a Tip Pan Alley tune) and the players are good. This is one that I appriciate, though, more than I actually like.

Modern Times, or Love and Theft, pt. II. Also produced by the man, and featuring the same blues-y Americana. I particularly like Ain't Talking.

I don't care that he's not breaking any new ground. He can sound like it's still 1957 if he wants. After all, he's always been a traditionalist. But here's the problem:

He used to be insane and good. This is when his best records were made.

Then, for a long time, he was just insane.

Now, he's just good. The insanity's missing and the work suffers. (Maybe he's leaving the "wild" out of the mercury sound.)

Don't get me wrong: these records belong somewhere on the Top 20 Dylan Albums list, just not near the top. Still glad he's around, though.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|