View Single Post
Old 03.07.2017, 06:48 PM   #48569
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
What the fuck does "chill" mean in this context? Boards Of Canada's music is quite unsettling, for the most part...

Ok, I was originally just going to say you're stupid and dumb ( ) but I think I get where you're coming from.

I think there's always been bit of ominousness to Boards' music, but there's also plenty of serenity in it as well. There are tracks like "The Color of Fire" (unsettling), but they're often rubbing right up against airier, lighter tracks. Like on Music Has the Right to Children, the next track is "Telephasic Workshop," which I find very tranquil.

But you're right... in fact, one of the reasons Tomorrow's Harvest didn't completely blow away everything for me in 2013 (aside from the fact that Yeezus and Amygdala came out that year) is that the record was extremely dour, and more than a little depressing. Not exactly a triumphant return.

But The Campfire Headphase is filled with tracks that are so peaceful my mother digs them. Swear to god. She loves that shit.

I think there's an ominousness/serenity dichotomy in a few of the artists NR mentioned, and many arrists in the "IDM" genre. Aphex Twin for instance. "Xtal" is fucking heavenly, but a lot of Aphex Twin's shit is closer to.. y'know.. the other place. Marilyn Manson didn't have shit on "Come to Daddy," not even for a second when he was at his most novel and "scary." Ventolin Remixes beat even Squarepusher's harsh Vic Acid EP when it comes to electro-mindrape. And Druqks is like the ultimate clash between beauty and chaos. But with RDJ, as with Boards, I think most of the unsettling qualities kind of go away after enough listens. That stuff sounds like Old Fauthful to me. Reassuring and lovely.

But... I did just read this on Apple Music's pull quote for MHTRTC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some asshole
It's a spellbinding balancing act between child-like wonder and grown-up dread.

So. There ya go.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|