View Single Post
Old 09.24.2017, 12:35 PM   #21497
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
just watched for the first time ever THE TRUMAN SHOW

i purposefully avoided it during its heyday somewhere in the late 90s

i see as its ancestors both "the prisoner" (the 60s tv show) and "pleasantville" and obvious reality shows like that mtv one i can't recall the name.

but i think that, more interestingly, it probably begat "the matrix" -- not in its ideas which are as old as the human ape ("what's real?" "is there another world?") but in probably making it possible for hollywood executives to greenlight such a story. or... i don't know. only 1 year apart? but it feels to me like 2 different eras.

i didn't know that truman show had been directed by peter weir. if i had, i probably would have watched it earlier. o well! looks like i missed out ha ha. tuff titties. caught up eventually. also the writer of this directed gattaca? hmmm...

Gattaca has been called the most underrated science fiction film of all time. I forget by whom. Some website. Anyway, I’ve never seen Gattaca, but I kinda doubt this is true.

Truman Show is a good movie. You might be onto something with the Matrix comparison. Remember too that Blair Witch Project came out around this time, so the “meta-narrative” was starting to seep into film on a mainstream level.

I didn’t know it was directed by Peter Weir either. Why didn’t I know that?

Truman Show was up for Best Picture. Just sayin’. I retain trivial shit.

ETA: OH MY GOD THIS IS WHY I RECOGNIZE STAN BEEMAN FROM “THE AMERICANS”!!!
Noah Emmerich was in the Truman Show! Shit! I’ve been puzzling about this for WEEKS.

I Googled the Peter Weir thing, and BAM! the question that’s been tickling the back of my brain was just answered. Jesus, Slambang, get out of my subconscious or whatever!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|