View Single Post
Old 10.17.2011, 01:38 PM   #215
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
You know what?

There's something about The Eternal which makes it very fitting as a last album.

I can't explain it.

But if it turned out to be the final Sonic Youth disc, I personally wouldn't mind.

Then again, I'm one of those curmudgeons who think bands should only release 4 or 5 albums and not be together for more than 15 years.

Sonic Youth have made their mark on music. They have risen from humble New York no wave origins to one of the seminal alternative rock bands of all time. They recorded an album that's generally considered one of the most important records in popular music (Daydream Nation, in case you haven't already figured that out) . They've contributed much to the world of art and avant garde music. They've helped turn people on to sounds they might not have explored, and given more recognition to underground/experimental composers-how many of us might've never gotten into Iannis Xenakis, John Cage, or Steve Reich if not for Sonic Youth? They helped give new life and meaning to some of Fender's least popular guitars...

If Sonic Youth split up, yeah, the world will lose a great band, but it's not like they haven't given us a lot already.