View Single Post
Old 10.02.2007, 07:22 AM   #47
sarramkrop

A drone has rarely got any of the fragmented sounds that you would find on a noise piece of music, where the general idea that a musician wants to give to the listener is that of full-frontal assault, rather than creating a prolonged and trancey state of the mind, which is the main aim of drones. I'm much more a fan of repetitive sounds than I am of noise and that is because you're more likely to end up listening to something that can be both freeform and concise at the same time. Drones operate more on different tonalities, so that makes them more assimilable for the brain, whereas a lot of the time noise is a hit and run kinda thing, at least for me. Merzbow is particularly good at what he does because he manages to give his noise the right sophisticated licks, depending on the subject that he is making music for. Take all this as a generalization, though, as I'm sure there exceptions to the rule. Wolf Eyes have taken me by surprise sometimes because they upped the stakes in terms of how the chaos gets channeled into what's creating it in some really interesting ways. They also happen to crack your skull open in a more of rockist way, rather than stopping at being some random noise merchants.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|