View Single Post
Old 08.22.2016, 10:00 AM   #82
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sound
well sonic youth is wrong then. sister has a more special place in my heart. daydream can't match the raw intensity of songs like catholic block and pipeline. (to be honest i'm splitting hairs. how do you compare things that are both nearly flawless, and distinguishably different from one another?)

Yeah, this. Pretty much.

Again, "favorite" vs. "better." I'll always prefer Sister for my own reasons. That world beating chorus accompanied by absolutely grotesque lyrics on "Tuff Gnarl," and the incredible experience of "Schizophrenia" from start to finish. The beauty of "Kotton Krown." And so on and so on.

I really think SY is best considered in phases. Sister was the absolute apex of the '85-'87 era. They kicked off something new with Daydream Nation. That album is probably an era in itself, although I do see Goo as a sonic continuation of it. But it's hard to measure SY at one perfect moment against SY at another. Sister and Daydream Nation just happened to back-to-back script flips. But Sister was still a punk album (or a no wave album, or whatever you want to call it), while DDN was something else entirely.

But lucky us! Our band dropped these albums, and it doesn't really matter which one is better. Both are incredible and unmatched.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|