View Single Post
Old 05.29.2012, 05:51 AM   #15846
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'm really surprised that you rated Stagefright so much higher than The Church. I'm quite a big Michele Soavi fan but I think Stagefright's one of those films that only seemed to get going in the last 15 minutes, whereas I thought The Church, though less brilliant than the end of Stagefright was much more watchable overall. The Church was the film that started me thinking that Argento might ultimately be a better producer than he is a director.

I would've sworn that Sabrina Salerno was in Stagefright, as one of the dancers, but I can't seem to find any mention of it anywhere.

Have you seen Mario Bava's Shock (sometimes called Beyond the Door 2)? If you liked Macabre it's also written by Lamberto Bava. A really underrated movie I think and probably the best role Daria Nicolodi's ever had.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbkqUk90U6I

Stagefright is the only Michele Soavi movie I've watched other than The Church so far. I found The Church’s story to be kind of tedious, or maybe I should simply say its execution, plus it’s filmed in a style too slick for my liking. Add to that that I am generally suspicious of movie ingredients such as witches, churches or any medieval imagery unless they are in films at least 40 years old or documentaries, and it didn’t make for fun viewing. I appreciated the references to ‘’Tenebre’’ in Stagefright, and I thought the movie’s pace made it flow quite nicely. Considering the story is pretty straightforward and there are no standout acting skills throughout it, personally I thought the setting held its own more convincingly than in a movie like Opera, where only a couple of really good scenes happen in front of the theatre’s stage, and most of the interesting action takes place away from it. Also, Opera’s ending is one of those WTF moments. When I last watched the movie with Melly the end made for a good ½ hour laugh.

I can’t find anything about Sabrina Salerno’s connection to Stagefright even on Italian websites. Didn’t she use to go out with Raoul Bova for a while? Maybe that’s the link between her and Michele Soavi. I had started watching ‘’Shock’’ a while ago but for some reason I was distracted by something and missed almost all of it. Will definitely re-visit it.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|