View Single Post
Old 08.20.2014, 12:18 PM   #45860
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu666

Wanna give me a rundown of your thoughts on this, boss? Beautiful cover art as usual, but Mascis's solo junk has always left me a bit cold.

However, I have snuck a peek at "Every Morning" and a few other tracks, and I'm happy to hear that he's not going acoustic again. Sorry, but without the feedback, Mascis's guitar playing does not match the psychedelic spaciness promised by the artwork. His traditionalist roots become exposed, and he sounds more like an actual "dinosaur" than an ironic, rebellious punk rock descendent of one.

But I'm not a hater- hater's gonna hate, and I ain't hatin'. I just think J is more of a feedback/effects manipulator than anything else. Without his trusty pedals and stacks, he just isn't J. Kinda like how Thurston Moore is a master of alternate tunings and experimental variations on traditional rhythm guitar methods. Listening to J play solo acoustic is about as exciting as hearing Sonic Youth play in standard tuning. Might as well watch a castrated bull try to fuck a cow.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|