View Single Post
Old 11.15.2019, 04:40 AM   #355
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
I normally wouldn't be raving about digital-only releases, but since there's a couple of you liking the Velvets there should be some interest for it. If not, go check your ears
I saw them play these songs around 2008 in a tiny fully packed venue, wouldn't mind at all if they would revisit these songs live again as well.

This is a copy of the latest newsletter of the Betties:

Quote:
Howdy Folks!

November 27 it is exactly 22 years since the Betties played their last gig of the Marlboro Flashbacks Tour at the Paradiso, Amsterdam. That day there will be a digital re-release of the album 'Bettie Serveert plays Venus in Furs' (which contains allmost all tracks of this show), available at iTunes/iMusic (you can pre-order from November 20) and Spotify. This re-release will have 4 extra songs which were played during the Paradiso-show but were not in the original release.

Here's Carol's story:

Back in 1997 there was a thing called the ‘Marlboro Flashbacks Tour’ here in the Netherlands, where they would ask Dutch artists to choose a favorite band to cover. When we were asked, our immediate answer was ‘The Velvet Underground’, because we have always been huge fans.
There had already been a Belgium artist who chose to cover Lou Reed, but we convinced the organization that we were going to do a totally different set.

We did 8 shows in the Netherlands and we played all our favorite Velvet Underground songs. Our last show was on Nov 27 1997 at the Paradiso in Amsterdam. This sold out show was recorded live (on 3 ADAT tapes) and mixed in 3 days time in Hilversum together with Hans Bunt and the cd was released in July 1998. We made ± 5000 cd’s, mostly as a ‘souvenir’ for those who had been to our shows. After they were sold out we never re-released it.

Moe Tucker sent us a letter after she heard our cover album and wrote that she felt homesick for their own Velvet Underground shows. She really liked it. We tried to stick as close as possible to the original versions, but obviously you can still hear that it’s us. Berend Dubbe, Peter Visser and Herman Bunskoeke all sang backing vocals.

To our surprise we recently found 4 extra songs which were not on the original cd: ‘Here She Comes Now’, ‘Guess I’m Falling In Love’, ‘Run, Run, Run’ and ‘There She Goes Again’.

We’re not sure why we never released them. Maybe because you can hear us make a few mistakes?

Regarding the photo of the setlist in the original booklet: we didn’t play ‘Who Loves The Sun’ at the Paradiso, that’s why we don’t have that recording. How ever, we did play ‘I’ll Be Your Mirror’, but something went wrong with that recording.

The entire cd has been remastered including the 4 extra tracks which have never been released before and on Nov 27th ’19, exactly 22 years after that last Paradiso show, it will be re-released on all streaming media sites.

This upcoming digital release is for those of you who didn’t get a chance to hear the recordings or see our shows. For those of you who do have the original cd, there are 4 extra songs you might be interested in.

We hope you’ll enjoy it!

X, the Betties

visit www.bettieserveert.com

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|