View Single Post
Old 08.10.2012, 10:38 PM   #67
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcat
Jazz is still a whole hell of a lot cooler than black metal... There's a difference between a band covering Bye Bye Baby by Mary Wells and a band covering Bye Bye Baby by Ok Go.

I would say jazz is cooler to those that need a lot of history in the music that they listen to. Those that appreciate research, and watching things evolve and take shape. Not that this can't be seen in black metal, it can...just not as much to pull from. That said, I can totally see why black metal might mean more to those that prefer something a bit more obviously dark and raunchy. Not that jazz is never dark or raunchy, it just often times requires a bit more of the listener to pick up on said vibes. All music has it's place. Thurston's done the weirdo free jazz thing...I'm curious to hear what he does w/ black metal. It's clearly an approach that means something to him. All music has it's place.

I mean, does it make me less cool that I occasionally enjoy listening to old Aerosmith records? I mean, despite the bullshit they've become, once upon a time they were a decent straight ahead rock n roll band. Nothing special, just fun riffage that makes sense when driving home from work or being bored sitting around eating candy background noise. Does it make me less punk rock if I sometimes listen to Black Flag right after Aerosmith? Most would say yes. How cool would I be if I cared? Music is music...despite genre or era or how certain outcast sorts identify with certain approaches to it. If it makes people want to do things...like, inspiring some kid to pick up and paintbrush or a guitar or get out of bed and face a day he'd rather not deal with...whatever...I'd say it's valid.