View Single Post
Old 02.26.2016, 08:47 AM   #10
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Drjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
The big unanswered question in everyone's mind is: "Are his poll numbers high because he's an amusing celebrity or because people actually intend to vote for him?" Who knows.

Here's what he's got going for him: Trump's voting record as an elected official is perfect. He's never once voted on a bill which anyone can possibly object to, for the simple fact that he's never cast one. He's pure as snow. Plays by his own rules.

I can't believe that in 2004, a promising Howard Dean had to close down his campaign because he shouted "Yee haw" when he won a primary, Iowa I think. He was seen as too unstable because of that brief, excited outburst.

Trump could yell "Yee haw," cut the head off a Mexican baby, call Oprah an uppity nigger, call the soldiers a bunch of pussies, and still have a political life. All bets are off. And I thought the mold was broken when a presidential election was won by a bi-racial first-term senator with a middle name resembling Iraq's former leader. Child's play. We're deep into uncharted territory. No one has any idea what's going on.

Enjoy the ride.

I agree in general with your points, evollove.
One thing to keep in mind--the votes he's getting now are not in the general election but in the Republican primary, which, as the party goes even further toward the right edge of the flat earth, is increasingly extreme, and he's not getting all GOP votes. His opposition is fragmented, with no one person to rally behind. So I wouldn't say--at least right now--that we are seeing the rise of a latter day Hitler. And while a lot of his supporters are indeed mindless sheep, I wouldn't say they all are. He's tapping into a vein of frustration that's real, whether one agrees with it or not. And I have to wonder how solid some of his support is--anecdotal, I know, but I've lost track of how many interviews I've heard on NPR and elsewhere where people say they can't condone everything he says/all of his views/how he insults people but that he's voicing some of their concerns.

But a few days ago I heard an interview on NPR with one of the GOP's big money contributors right after the South Carolina primary. The guy had backed Jeb Bush and was pissed off over how badly he thought Bush's campaign was run. He was looking to support one of Trump's opponents and hadn't decided which one yet but he was very, very definitely anti-Trump--which plays into my theory that if Trump gets even close to being the GOP nominee, he won't live to run. The megamoney behind the GOP knows that the chances of Trump winning the general election are slim and none. More to the point, he's a loose cannon they can't control.

But yeah, it's been a wild ride, and it doesn't look to be ending anytime soon.
Drjohnrock is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|