View Single Post
Old 02.26.2008, 08:24 PM   #17
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
That wasn't a dig at Mr Neurotic or anyone, I just think Bore are probably on the Cave/ SY level of 'underground-ness', i.e., not very.

people with perspective from the underground get this impression that the boredoms are massive, but they are definitely not, especially if you talk about people into sonic youth, et al. fans. most sonic youth fans are only fans of the goo-dirty-no star-washing machine period (sister at it's most underground), meaning the just want to hear verse-chorus-verse songs, the stigma of alternative as mainstream underground music is still a large one, with most people still considering nirvana the epitome of underground/indie rock.

two years ago, i knew of no one in real life who had listened to the boredoms, now, i know some but most are just paying lip service to them (like if you ask them what their favorite album is, you get a blank stare in response or the occasional "they are just WEIRD, man!!!).

same with melt-banana, a cult band that's more like a novelty to most people ("they sound like the punk chipmunks dood!") and perhaps have a song or two in their ipods.

these bands, on the larger scale of things, don't have many real fans; the ones that are real fans are very vocal and dedicated (and also writing about them in many magazines and periodicals), that's why it seems larger.

remember, up until like two months ago, the boredoms still didn't have u.s. distribution of their recent releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rick
Case in point: That "Woo-Hoo" song by the 5.6.7.8's....It's appearance in a major movie and ubiquitous TV commercials has made that song famous even if people like my middle-aged parents have no recognition for the name 5.6.7.8's.

that's called a novelty hit.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|