View Single Post
Old 06.22.2010, 04:37 PM   #20
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
first, cassavetes is not just "people talking", the talking is fucking brilliant. i don't know what you mean by "no scenario", you mean no plot, no story? in english scenario means the setting (geographic, historical, etc), so i didn't get what you meant. but cassavetes's films certainly go somewhere.

Come on, that's just nitpicking

Quote:
now, to say that cassavetes is just a "version" of a french filmmaker who was younger than him is misguided. cassavetes released his first feature (Shadows) in 1959, godard only came up with ŕ bout de souffle in 1960. but that wouldn't mean that godard is a french version of cassavetes. they are very different filmmakers.

They are different but in some way's they were national equivalents of one another. Effectively they were both fusing genre film with European Art cinema. Godard did via a French filter (at least during his first films), Cassavetes did it through an American one. Godard quickly moved in a direction where that equivalence soon broke down but for a while, I think it's a valid comparison.

Quote:
also, cassavetes strove for realism, which is why in a woman under the influence he shows family disfunction raw and unadulterated, more in the cinema verité tradition, whereas godard is full of film quotations and homages to other films and directors

Again, national equivalence: Godard was exploring realism in light of European developments (Brecht/Neo Realism) while Cassavetes was exploring it through American/Hollywood conventions.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|