View Single Post
Old 03.01.2010, 02:13 PM   #72
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
Ultimately, what you are implying is that music should not evolve: why not simply go to the very base of it, since every evolution based on it is precisely based on it. Noise rock should have not existed since it mixes elements of noise and rock, and so people should have listened to pure noise or pure rock instead, etc.

Mixing elements from different cultures has been a very common thing for the past ten years, see the massive african tribal music influence on a lot of Brooklyn bands - though I know most of you think they suck, so I won't name any of them to avoid further trouble on that point. I see it more of an hommage than something else; besides, we're genuinely talking about music and not culture/religion/etc here, so if it works as a music, it's enough for me. Was Trans Jerusalem Express by Lift To Experience a bad album because its christian texts were not said by a priest? I don't think so.

no not all. just in Rastafari we are very very sensitive to these kinds of things. People wearing ites-gold-green but have NO idea what it means iyah! Them never know about poor Marcus! Them never love King Selassie I! So we are a bit sensitive.

Musical sound and taste can evolve freely, absorb mutual styles etc.. cultures can share with each other readily BUT in regards to Rastafari culture, if a Dubstep artist calls their band Nyabinghi or through around Ethiopia-Zion motiffs, we in Rastafari would like them to come to the authentic fountains of Rastafari and get the truth from the source, rather then mascarade around in some mix up mix up thing

I-man is ALL for the cultural mingling, and I have not beef with DUBSTEP so long as dubstep scene recognizes the original flag bearers, and that they do NOT ignorantly use Rastafari cultural elements like Ites-Gold-Green, Ras Speak, Rastafari terminology, Rastafari dress/style WITHOUT being Rastafari, and we in Rastafari movement hold up ALL outsiders to these standards of authenticity.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|