View Single Post
Old 10.18.2012, 09:34 PM   #260
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I know what you mean, but I think we feel that way because at this point we are far more familiar with Lauryn Hill than we are with Lauryn and the Fugees.

Still, the Score was one of the albums that defined my late teens and I think it's one of the best albums of the 90s. Not top 10 best, but nobody who grew up in that decade would leave it out of the top 50. Nobody with any sense anyway. Even if its for nostalgia a sale alone, I will never forget that album. "ready or not," despite some embarrassing lyrics, is one of my favorite singles.

Incidentally, I get the urge to listen to "Ghetto Superstar" more than anything by Lauryn or the Fugees. I know that's bloody ridiculous, but the heart wants what the heart wants.

Oh I still put the Score as in the Top Ten albums of the 1990s, rap or otherwise, but as a composition, as a whole, not one track or artist in particular. There are strengths and weaknesses to that album, sometimes Lauren is a strength, sometimes a weakness, but I felt she was overrated on that album because female MCs were so rare in the mainstream (ok, well anywhere)..

I was bumping the Score again today, it was not just formative to my teenage years, but is still a crucial album, and is as relevant today as it was when it was first released..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|