View Single Post
Old 11.03.2007, 08:18 PM   #83
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Greatest post. Thanks for the onemoresolo link. Also, I have to say that the production on In Utero is magnificiently beautiful. I definitely want that particular sound and rawness if I ever release my own album. Kurt's penchant for writing songs that can shine through layers of murk and grime are made all the more obvious with the raw, abrasive sound on this record. The drums are thick, and pound relentlessly ( I heard somewhere that Dave Grohl used the larger end of the drumsticks to pound his skins - not sure if it's true), the bass grooves and slinks, twisitng and sinuous, and Cobain manages to wrench a completely tortured and naked wail from his guitar everytime, and succeeds in making it a wall of noise, melody and rhythm that constantly lurks, menancing and predatory.

The words on In Utero bite, gnaw and chew. They snarl and smirk and consume the consumer; burrowing into your soul and your intellect, until they reach your centre and propogate, until they suffocate you. This album is unsettling in the best possible way. Alienation, desolation, despair, anger - all themes that somehow Nirvana manage to rock and groove into In Utero. William S. Burroughs, when he read the lyrics of In Utero, proclaimed that Kurt "was already dead" when he wrote them.