View Single Post
Old 01.16.2014, 03:53 PM   #51
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantophobia
in retrospect I am not sure which of the two I preferred live, I'd lean more towards Wild Flag cause I am a huge Mary Timony fan

While I hadn't debated this directly, I definitely think Wild Flag had a certain vibe and appeal which was altogether different from S-K.. I think S-K was definitely a superior project, but that is just because of the insane chemistry those women had together. When Spells came out in 1999 was so damned excited because I too am huge Mary Timony fan. Then in 2009 when Carrie released four more tracks remastered from that original 1999 "Age of Backwards" session I was even more impressed! I was also thinking, this material is fantastic why wasn't it released with the first EP?? Anyway, I'm glad that Carrie and Mary reconnected and brought Janet and Rebecca along, those ladies also had great chemistry but in a different direction. Wild Flag from its very beginning didn't feel like a band that could make multiple albums. It felt like a spontaneous kind of project, a true one-only. If anything, I thought that perhaps they'd begin incorporating some of that The Spells material into the set-lists to prolong the band if needed, but instead they were smart enough to quit while ahead.

This is how I'd rank these bands/albums

(1) The Hot Rock - S-K
(2) Dig Me Out - S-K
(3) Self-Titled - Wild Flag
(4) The Woods - S-K
(5) The Corin Tucker Band - Kill My Blues (this record kicks MAJOR ASS)
(6) One Beat - S-K
(7) The Spells "Age of Backwards (featuring extended material released in 2009 through NPR)
(8) All Hands on the Bad One - S-K (a totally for fun record)
(9) Corin Tucker Band - 1,000 Years
(10) Call the Doctor - S-K
(11) Such Friends Are Dangerous - Excuse 17
(12) Out West - Cadallaca
(13) Calculated - Heavens To Beatsy
(14) Introducing Cadallaca - Cadallaca
(15) Self-Titled - Excuse 17
(16-25) Various Quasi records (yeah, I never really got into them, some great stage shows though, I definitely enjoyed that)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|