View Single Post
Old 08.29.2015, 10:14 AM   #36863
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
That coat gets more comments than anything I wear. My wife dislikes it, but out in the world, I actually get compliments on it. True story: I was wearing it this week, as shown in pic above, and a college girl walking down the street turned from talking with her friend to smile at me and say, "Sweet blazer!" I'll live on that moment for the next 10 years!

I wore it the next day and a bank teller told me she liked my "style... especially that jacket."

It's by a brand I'd never heard of. E.J. Peake, but I've researched it, and apparently it was either a department store or a men's store, now defunct, most robust in the 1960s. This jacket is a two-button sack cut (meaning undarted) from around 1965. Three-button sack cuts, where the third top button is hidden under a lapel that rolls, were very common in the 1960s, but the two-button sack is a bit of a rarity and rather sought after by people like me who are into the old Ivy style. It has this cool silk lining with medallion imprints, a kind of sport coat lining that was common back then, hardly seen now. The fit is spot on, neither too tailored looking nor too boxy, and it's in perfect condition, as if it came right off the store rack--not bad for something that's almost as old as I am. I wear the heckfire out of it.

I bought it from a vintage consignment shop for about $30--probably what it retailed for in 1965!