View Single Post
Old 06.05.2013, 06:06 AM   #46155
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
he was a brilliant songwriter, but he lost it somewhere around amazing grace I think. his songs just became painfully clichéd, to the point where sweet heart sweet light was one of the worst albums I've ever heard. I find his self-pity to be nauseating, and the fact that he's been basing his songs around the same subject matter for over 25 fucking years just leaves me confused. I mean, kember's just been rehashing honey over and over since the end of spacemen 3 but at least spectrum isn't as irritatingly contrived in how self-effacing it is. it's not really j's fault though, he's just been aggrandized by a lot of his bedwetter fans. spiritualized were always much better in their more loose, illusory phase (inception --> ladies and gentlemen...), so I was so glad to hear that they've apparently moved back into free jazz on the new record.

Whoah, man. I can see how Songs in A&E might be construed this way (though it still has "Baby I'm Just a Fool," which is one of my favorite Spiritualized tracks ever), but Sweet Heart/Sweet Light was a solid album. In my opinion, anyway. At some point one needs to accept that Jason is just plain into making samey, cheesy, deceptively poppy songs that are usually a great deal more sad and nihilistic than their melodies would have you believe. A lot of his albums achieve a sort of "in on the joke" badassness that reminds me of Soft Bulletin era Lips. They sound like Elton John or Fantasia or some shit on the surface,but there are layers and layers of crazy shit underneath.

Just me, maybe. I just really like that whole schtick of his. Can't explain it. Sorry you don't like it, and while I understand why, I must respectfully disagree.
Btw, what about Let it Come Down? Must be his schmaltziest record ever, but I sill love it. You said Amazing Grace was the souring point, yeah? Any thoughts on LICD?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|