View Single Post
Old 03.17.2017, 08:21 PM   #6850
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
My (apparently) purple Matador LP arrived on Tuesday to my U.S. undercover agent's HQ. You know what happens if the vinyl is actually green? I get tickets to the Spoon show of my choosing! (Dream on: there is —well, was— ONE green copy in the U.S. Matador online store; also just one in the UK store). My megatonic megabundle (CD plus tee plus mug plus postcard set plus enamel pin plus matchbox — I kid you not) hasn't shown up yet, probably due to them silly storms.

Now, I did get the mp3s today. Haven't had a chance to listen to jack squat yet, but I was surprised by the metadata on these files. Wikipedia says everything's written by "Spoon" and I wonder whether that's how the credits appear on the official artwork. The tags indicate something else: five songs written by Daniel alone, one by Fischel/Daniel, and four songs co-written by Daniel and cats who are not bandmembers at all (three in total: Sean Dineen, Laura Pergolizzi and Ted Taforo). Also, that's Sharon Van Etten on "First Caress"!

Finally, it was only today that I found out Eric Harvey is no longer in the group.

Wow.

I just bought it on iTunes. I've had a bit of a financial setback lately, what with needing to buy a new furnace and all. The iTunes version came with a digital booklet. It's not very exciting, so I didn't look closely, but I will when I get home.

I was honestly a wee bit disappointed by They Want My Soul. It was solid, but lacked some of the weirdness, studio tinkering, and marvelous negative space that makes for the spooniest Spoon. I'm reallly hoping this one is a bit more my speed.

So far I'm liking it, but I haven't even listened to half of it yet. "Whisperilllistentohearit" has the exact kind of weirdness that I like in a Spoon track that was missing from TWMS. So I'm optimistic.

Even if t disappoints, they've earned their stripes at this point man. They're simply one of the best pop bands of the last 40 years, and a lot of people still aren't hip to them.

Hope you get a green vinyl. I've seen them enough myself.

P.s. "Nobody Gets me But You" is their best song. That's peak Spoon. Also "The Ghost of You Lingers," "Metal Detektor," "The Underdog," "I Turn My Camera On" and "Don't Make Me a Target."

Spoon.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|