View Single Post
Old 02.16.2009, 02:05 PM   #80
amire80
empty page

amire80 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
I'll love this album forever. It was my first Sonic Youth encounter.

Same for me!

I heard Silver Rocket, 100% and Teen Age Riot on MTV before that, but Washing Machine was the first SY album i actually bought and heard.

It is excellent.

Becuz has excellent riffs and fx. Junkie's Promise is what 100% was supposed to be, but far better. Saucer is one of Lee's best songs.

The title track - i used to hate it initially, but then it grew on me. The frirst part is to "Orange Rolls" what "Junkie's" is to "100%" - similar, but better. The final part is a good prequel to SY's later era - 1000 Leaves and Murray St, and that's a good thing.

Unwind has a beautiful melody. It develops simply and expectedly, but powerfully. Trouble Girl is OK, but would be much better off as a b-side. No Queen and Panty are less amazing than the rest of the album, but grew on me, too. They would fit perfectly on EJST&N*, though.

From here on it's pure bliss: #9 is a powerful reprise of Becuz, Skip Tracer is a yet another excellent Lee song - and Lee never stops to surprise, and so much has been said about The Diamond Sea that i need not add.
amire80 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|