View Single Post
Old 02.15.2009, 04:57 PM   #69
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Washing Machine has always been a bit of an anomaly for me. I don't know exactly why I've chosen to put it that way-maybe just to sound cool and intellectual...

But seriously, while I can enjoy pretty much any other SY album anytime, I have to be in a certain mood to listen to Washing Machine. That's not to I say I don't like it; indeed, I love some of the individual tracks (Becuz, Junkie's Promise, Washing Machine, yes-Panty Lies, and of course The Diamond Sea), but I can't take it as a whole unless I really want to hear this album. It's hard to explain.

Maybe it's the one-two anti-punch of Unwind and Little Trouble Girl; I never thought it's a good idea to follow a soft song with an even softer one. Total momentum killer there.

Of SY's 2 mid-90s "return to form" albums (the other being Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star), I have to say I prefer EJSTNS.

Something I don't understand, though, is why Junkie Promise and Panty Lies keep appearing in "Worst SY Song" polls...come on, guys! Junkie's Promise-Black Sabbath-esque sludge that later takes off into noise-punk destruction? How fucking cool is that? And if you ask me, the noises in the last part of Panty Lies are the some of the coolest sounds ever to appear on an SY album. I can overlook Kim's "Martian scatting" vocals.