View Single Post
Old 10.18.2012, 02:58 PM   #16270
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Honest human drama and concerns are never dated. That is why shakespeare, Cervantes, Melville, Etc are all still read and loved.

If by dated you mean OUTdated then yes, everything eventually becomes that, but dated in art really refers more to relevance, to the personal relevance of the struggle or the story or the humor in the work.

Sonic Youth will never seem dated in either way I think. They were never big enough to be assimilated into mainstream culture by the masses, and no other bands took the SY sonic approach and got super famous with it.

I think things get dated more when they are too specific of their time. However, once the memory of that time leaves the collective consciousness, then it can be rediscovered based on it's own values.

the same tyhing happend with Bach, sho was alomost willfuly ignored for several hundred years after his death, having been too big an influence on what came after. It took time for people to truly rediscover the magic Bach wrote.