View Single Post
Old 04.25.2007, 09:39 AM   #12
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Which novel has had the biggest impact on you?

I read a similar thread on another board and it seems like Camus' The Outsider figures high for quite a few people. There must be a lot more Cure fans out there than I realised!

It think it might have been Colin Wilson's The Outsider we were going on about in the other thread, not Camus' The Stranger (aka The Outsider).
The Myth of Sisyphus, of course, is the essay by Camus that explores his absurdist view...interesting book to read...but, of course, as actual philosophy, it's basically junk.

formative books (only one is a novel)

Colin Wilson, The Outsider
Ernest Becker, The Denial of Death
Frijitof Capra, The Tao of Physics
Fyodor Dostoevsky, Crime and Punishment (NOVEL)
C.G. Jung, Psyche and Symbol
Plato, Dialogues of Plato
Various (compilation), The Beat Generation & the Angry Young Men
photos by and compiled by David Douglas Duncan, Picasso's Picassos

& not to copy, but
I read just about all of Hesse early before graduating high school...I'll list Narcissus & Goldmund and Demian. I suppose the Casteneda muck and Clarke/Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey screenplay should be in there too as early books that had impact.

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|